Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Perpetual

I once heard a coffee house singer say 
"to capture your heart"
I saw the words scribbled down on an old folded piece of paper in his guitar case
a young face
a creative space
buzzing with hope
your heart
to capture
to keep
exuberance
what will I contain it in?
I stole some nice wood from the woodworking shop
I built myself a box
some of the nails bent over in the hard hard oak
disappointed in myself for not using the dovetail joint
I cut myself on the chisel edge
inside this box was a space
perfectly empty 
perfectly parallel to me
I found a hasp and placed it there
screws perfectly placed so no one could defeat it
but I never found a lock
years went by
I reach up to grab 
but these hearts keep fluttering away
just high enough I cant reach
returning to the ground just far enough away from me
it keeps me
somewhere in the power block a pigeon struck an arc
lifeless on the ground I plucked feathers from its heart
rightfully so compartments in my mind began to part
fiber meshing like velcro
separating Science from art
the head from the heart
 return to the drawing board
I completely own my blunder
The light from above the phone booth flashes bright
Insight
I had it so wrong
her memory knew me before it ever met me
 sewing pieces from the wing
feathers frail and withered
around a watercolored dripping wet heart
Blood drips from a needle cut
released
oh what a spectacle
you see an old black and white movie
with the exception of a glowing red heart
claiming its wings
like a kid letting go of a toy plane
It feels selfish to feel this alive
she smiles in the pale light of the morning
we both feel the mystery
how can two people lift each other
with both feet on the ground? 
we may not have the means to harness this wisdom
to decipher exactly what makes it so,
this thing that could save the world from itself
at the very least
her and I smile
we know a secret
the machine is possible

No comments:

Post a Comment